India News

Corona’s new variant can be fatal, WHO chief’s alert – Negligence will be like this

New Delhi. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General of the World Health Organization, has once again warned about the corona virus on Friday. He said that the lapse in strategies to deal with COVID-19 this year is creating conditions for the emergence of a deadly new variant. With the peak of the pandemic, countries around the world have started loosening the reins on surveillance, testing and vaccination for the disease, which has killed more than 6 million people so far.

According to estimates by the Global Health Agency, approximately 90% of the world’s population now has some level of immunity to SARS-COV-2 due to prior infection or vaccination. “We are very close to being able to say that the emergency phase of the pandemic is over, but we are not there yet,” Tedros told reporters during a news conference.
Addressing the global gap in vaccinations, WHO technical lead Maria Van Kerkhove said the agency wants governments around the world, including China, to focus on reaching people at risk, such as those over the age of 60 and those with underlying conditions. Do it. Further easing of COVID-19 testing requirements and quarantine rules in some Chinese cities was met with a mix of relief and concern on Friday, as hundreds of millions of people await an expected change in national virus policies following widespread social unrest.

WHO emergencies director Mike Ryan said it was encouraging that China was adjusting its current COVID-19 control strategies. Ryan said he hoped China would emerge with a coherent and clear strategy “that balances the containment of the virus with people’s livelihoods, well-being and human rights.”

Tags: covid 19, New Delhi news, WHO

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button