Weight loss tips: Not only high calories, stress also increases obesity in these 5 ways
Modern comforts like indoor living, artificial lights, urban living, screen time at night have increased chronic stress among people.
High cortisol reduces the mineral content in the body. This leads to deficiency of magnesium, potassium.
Stress can increase obesity risk: Obesity is a big problem in the world. The number of obese people has increased 3 times in the last 30 years. According to WHO, in 2016 alone, the number of adults suffering from obesity reached 1.9 billion. Nowadays most of the children have also gained weight. According to the data of 2020, 39 million children under the age of 5 are also victims of overweight. But usually we think that consuming more calorie food leads to obesity. According to experts, this can be a reason, but chronic stress, that is, long-standing stress, is also a big reason for obesity. Therefore, if the reason for your obesity is tension, then think about removing it. Whether obesity has increased due to any reason, unless you remove the chronic stress, the weight will not decrease.
Also read- Diabetes during pregnancy: If you have diabetes in pregnancy, then be alert, risk of premature birth
Why does chronic stress happen?
Metabolic health expert Kate William says that sedentary lifestyles such as always being indoors, artificial lights, urban living, modern comforts like screen time at night have increased chronic stress in people, according to HT news. Stress leads to widespread nutrient deficiencies. In this condition, people lose their sensitivity to insulin, due to which carbohydrate metabolism cannot take place and weight gain occurs.
In this way stress increases obesity
- Chronic stress increases the level of cortisol hormone. Cortisol increases the anti-diuretic hormone (ADH), thereby increasing the risk of fluid retention and puffiness.
- When the amount of cortisol in the body increases, the function of the thyroid gets disturbed. This slows down the metabolism and digestion and eventually leads to obesity whether you eat more food or not.
- High cortisol reduces the mineral content in the body. Due to this, there is a deficiency of magnesium, potassium which is necessary for maintaining blood sugar. Without it, the body starts resisting insulin and fat starts accumulating in the body.
- Cortisol increases the amount of blood sugar in the body. When blood sugar rises and it is not absorbed, the excess sugar turns into fat. That is, the weight starts increasing.
- Cortisol suppresses the progesterone hormone due to which the estrogen hormone becomes effective. Estrogen hormone helps in the storage of fat.
Be the first to read breaking news in Hindi News18 Hindi| Today’s latest news, live news updates, read the most reliable Hindi news website News18 Hindi|
Tags:, Health tips, Lifestyle, Obesity
FIRST PUBLISHED : November 08, 2022, 06:00 IST