KALAMAZOO, Mich. (AP) — Authorities evacuated several homes in a Kalamazoo neighborhood Thursday evening after a ruptured gas line caught fire.
Police and firefighters evacuated all homes within a one-block radius of the fire, and police diverted traffic away from the area.
Firefighters reported a 4-inch (10-centimeter) natural gas line ruptured and was burning under ground in a construction zone, the Kalamazoo Gazette said.
Gas meters to nearby homes were shut off as a precaution.
Natural gas utility Consumers Energy was called in to help with the gas leak.
Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.