World News

President Gotabaya Rajapaksa, who fled from Sri Lanka, resigns, arrives in Singapore

Sri Lanka’s President Gotabaya Rajapaksa Resign: The period of unrest in Sri Lanka, which is facing economic crisis, rebellion and demonstrations, is not stopping. President Gotabaya Rajapaksa, who pushed this neighboring country of India towards this situation, has finally resigned. Earlier, he had spoken of resigning on July 13 itself. However, he has announced his resignation today.

It is reported that after his resignation, he has reached Singapore. At present, the acting President Ranil Wickremesinghe has declared an emergency. Here the army and the police have been given a free hand to deal with the rebellion demonstrations. In such a situation, there is little chance of peace being restored in Sri Lanka. On the other hand, the demand of the Go Gota Go protesters has been completely rejected by the people in power of the country. The protesters do not want to see either Rajapaksa or Wickremesinghe in power again. Sri Lanka is a great example of the intoxication of pride in power and its dangerous consequences. Know here how the situation here got worse from bad.

From the beginning of the year 2022 things were getting worse

The current crisis in Sri Lanka, a country with a population of 22 million, did not arise immediately. The situation here had started deteriorating only after the Kovid epidemic. The country’s foreign exchange reserves continued to decrease. The situation became such that there was a shortage of foreign exchange even for the country to import medicines and fuel. In May, the loan installment of $78 million became the neck of Sri Lanka. He demanded a bailout amount of about $ 3.5 billion from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and for all this the people there held accountable only and only the baseless decisions of the ruling authorities there. Today the public has come out on the road, they are searching for answers to their problems by capturing the Rashtrapati Bhavan and sometimes setting fire to the PM’s residence. Democracy has not spared even the TV channels of the country. The army-police, air fire, tear gas and helicopters and emergency were the only option left to keep a watch on the public in the government bus.

Temporary emergency was imposed in April also

Today is not the first time that a state of emergency has been declared in Sri Lanka, before that, the president who resigned and Gotabaya Rajapaksa, the architect of this crisis in the country, imposed a temporary emergency in April as well. During this too, Biya Rajapaksa declared a temporary state of emergency. Even at this time, the security forces were given a free hand by the government. He could arrest as well as take the common citizen into custody on the basis of suspicion. The situation became so bad that in a meeting held late at night, almost the entire cabinet resigned. This left President Rajapaksa and his brother Mahinda, who was the Prime Minister of the country, completely alone. The announcement of the resignation of the governor of the central bank did the right thing. After this, it was like a period of resignations started here. Finance Minister Ali Sabri resigned a day after taking office. Parties who had been the President’s first allies had requested him to resign only then, but Rajapaksa was about to agree that he remained in his post. However, after this he lifted the emergency. After this there was an acute shortage of life saving medicines in the country. However, even during this time public anger continued to erupt in the form of rebellion demonstrations. During this, a demonstrator was killed by police bullets and the situation kept getting worse.

Even this big step did not calm the anger

Government supporters and protesters clashed in May. These situations became serious when people on both sides came to the violence and nine people died. As a result, the mob selectively targeted the people responsible for this. The public left no stone unturned to set the houses of those who became the cause of the violence on fire. The houses of many MPs were set on fire. In view of all this, Mahinda Rajapaksa had to resign from the post of Prime Minister. Thousands of people entered the Prime Minister’s house in Colombo. Had the soldiers not come to save them, they might have succumbed to the anger of the protesters. After this Ranil Wickremesinghe was made PM, but the public did not like this decision of the government. Along with announcing the curfew in the country, the Defense Ministry ordered soldiers to shoot at sight anyone involved in looting or loss of life. The protesters did not listen to the government and violated the curfew. In Colombo, a senior police officer was beaten up and his vehicle was set on fire. In the end, the government had to lift the curfew after losing. The situation became so bad that the United Nations (UN) warned of a serious humanitarian crisis in Sri Lanka.

When the sale of fuel was banned

Amidst the deteriorating conditions of the country, the lack of fuel added to the fire On June 27, the Sri Lankan government announced a ban on the sale of petrol except for essential services. Behind this, the government argued that the country has almost run out of fuel. After this, as if the public got out of control. After 12 days, people from every corner of the country started marching towards Rashtrapati Bhavan in Colombo to express their protest. However, President Gotabaya Rajapaksa left on Friday, July 8, due to the information already received. Significantly, Rajapaksa was under pressure to resign from March itself. He has been using Rashtrapati Bhavan as his residence and office since protesters occupied the entrance of his office in April. In view of the possibility of rebellion, curfew was imposed there during that time, but it did not have any effect on the angry protesters. The public occupied the Rashtrapati Bhavan with the slogans of Gota Go Home. Protesters marched here after clearing blockades in the high-security Fort area of ​​central Colombo, demanding the resignation of President Gotabaya Rajapaksa. During that time, in many video footage from here, the protesters were seen taking a bath in the chairs and swimming pool in the Rashtrapati Bhavan and enjoying the royal lunch in the kitchen there.

A meeting was called at the speaker’s house in a hurry

On Saturday, July 9, the turmoil of the ruling party was shaken and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe was called an emergency meeting of party leaders at the house of Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena. In this meeting, there was talk of forming an all-party government in the country and President Gotabaya along with PM Ranil Vikram Singhe (Ranil Wickremesinghe) to resign. In the same meeting, President Gotabaya Rajapaksa’s resignation was announced on 13 July, but the protesters did not calm down on this too and they also set fire to the Prime Minister’s house and occupied it. Many videos of protesters had also come out from here. In this, a video of a mock wrestling of the protesters on the antique bed of the PM became quite viral. There were rumors among President Gotabaya that he had fled the country by a naval ship or plane or was hiding in a military camp. However, he was not seen in public since Tuesday 5 July. President Rajapaksa has fled to Maldives with his wife and two bodyguards. He was to resign on 13 July. Protests have intensified after PM Ranil Wickremesinghe declared emergency in the country.

read this also:

Explained: Rebellion, ruckus and emergency… What will happen next after President Gotabaya Rajapaksa escapes from Sri Lanka?

Sri Lanka Crisis: The Rajapaksa family has always spoken in Sri Lanka, know the full story of rise and fall


Related Articles

Back to top button