Home World News More than 10 thousand doctors and staff went on strike in South Korea, government warned – India TV Hindi

More than 10 thousand doctors and staff went on strike in South Korea, government warned – India TV Hindi

0
More than 10 thousand doctors and staff went on strike in South Korea, government warned – India TV Hindi

South Korean doctors on strike.- India TV Hindi

Image Source: AP
South Korean doctors on strike.

Health services in South Korea have collapsed after more than 10 thousand doctors and 80 percent of the trainee staff went on strike. Due to this the patients are in distress. In view of the widespread strike by doctors, the South Korean government has now issued a serious warning to them. The government has clearly told the striking doctors of South Korea that they should either return from the strike on time or be prepared to face legal action.

South Korea’s Health Minister Cho Kyu-hong said in an interview with local SBS radio that if the striking doctors did not return by the end of the day (29 February), legal action would be taken against them.

South Korea’s health minister said Thursday that most striking doctors have not returned to work despite a deadline, warning that legal action would be taken against doctors if they do not end their strike. He said that there has been chaos in hospitals due to doctors stopping work. Let us tell you that apart from about 10,000 junior doctors, about 80 percent of the trainee workforce left the job and went on strike last week after serving a notice. Doctors protested against government plans to sharply increase medical school admissions to deal with medical staff shortages and an aging society.

Claim for loss of quality of service

Doctors say that the government’s plan will harm the quality of service. Industry groups have criticized the government’s “intimidation tactics”. Under South Korean law, doctors are prohibited from striking and the government has threatened to arrest and suspend medical licenses if doctors do not return to work by Thursday. “If the junior doctors return by the end of today, we will not hold them accountable,” Health Minister Cho Kyu-hong said in an interview with local SBS radio early Thursday. Some trainee doctors who joined the walkout have since returned to their hospitals, but “a full-scale return has not yet taken place”, Cho said. “Since today is the last day for withdrawal, I urge them to do so for the sake of the patients.”

Treatment of patients affected

The massive work stoppage resulted in cancellations and postponements of surgeries, chemotherapy and C-sections. The government also raised its public health alert to the highest level. Citing a shortage of health professionals and a looming demographic crisis, Cho said the government remains committed to its reform plan, which will increase medical school admissions by 65 percent. “If we reduce the scope (of the increase) … it will delay providing the needed medical workforce,” he said. Polling shows 75 percent of the South Korean public supports the reforms and President Yoon Suk Yeol, who has taken a tough stance on striking doctors, has seen his approval ratings rise ahead of April legislative elections.

Read also

US Presidential Election: Trump disqualified in Illinois primary election for his role in Capitol riots

Doctors gave this report before the presidential elections in America whether Biden is medically fit to take administrative decisions or not.

Latest World News